2014 Social Media Page Setup Instructions
August 25, 2014
Social Media Page Setup Instructions
Social Ally highly recommends that you create ALL of these social networks for your business in order to maximize your professional engagement and increase your Google Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
Personal Facebook Page Setup Instructions:
- Visit https://www.facebook.com/
- Fill out all of your personal information in the SIGN UP fields
- Skip step 1 unless you would like to connect Facebook to your email contacts
- Step 2 – fill out your personal profile information (the EMPLOYER field can be left blank until you make your business a Fanpage, then you can list it in that field)
- Step 3 – add a picture of yourself. This will be the main image of your profile that your friends and the public will be able to see
- Once signed in, you are able to search for people you might know; classmates, co-workers, etc. To do this, scroll to the bottom of the home screen.
Facebook Fanpage Setup Instructions:
- Visit https://www.facebook.com/pages/create/
- Select the category that pertains to your business – fill out the appropriate information
- When naming your Fanpage, keep the name consistent with all your other pages
- When filling out the below section, make sure you add all the categories that pertain to your business.
- In the description box, write a brief description about your business and what you do.
KEEP IN MIND: the description box indexes in Google search; make sure to add your keywords!
- Enter your website URL, if you have multiple; add them all
7. Choose a unique Facebook URL; make sure it’s consistent with your branding.
8. Upload a profile image and SKIP the next steps.
9. Add a cover photo/profile image.
(Click HERE for correct sizing dimensions)
Twitter Setup Instructions:
- Visit https://twitter.com/
- Sign up for a new account
- Insert your name or business name into the FULL NAME field
- Enter your email – create password – create a UNIQUE username that applies to your business and keeps the branding consistent
5. Once signed into your Twitter account and you have verified your email address, click the GEAR ICON in the right hand corner, select PROFILE and add a photo, header image, website, bio, etc.
6. If you wish to change your twitter background, click DESIGN on the left column. For correct sizing of images, see this BLOG.
Instagram Setup Instructions:
- Instagram is a CELL PHONE ONLY application. To download Instagram, visit your app store on your cell phone – search for “Instagram”
- Once downloaded to your cell phone, click REGISTER ACCOUNT.
- Choose a username and name for your account (keep branding consistent to your other social media outlets)
- Upload your company logo or corresponding image.
- After the above is complete, Instagram will prompt you to “Find your Facebook friends” – this will let your Facebook friends know you have joined Instagram and they can follow you. WE SUGGEST YOU DO THIS!
6. In order to edit your profile and add your bio, website etc.; click the icon circled in the right corner. Click EDIT PROFILE
7. In order to add pictures to your Instagram, click the camera icon and you can take a live photo or browse your current phone image library.
KEEP IN MIND: you are able to email yourself images, save them to your phone and load them onto Instagram! Be sure and ALWAYS add a description, appropriate hashtag and a call-to-action on every image you post!
Business Google+ Page Setup Instructions:
Remember: your personal personal Google+ page is different than a business page!
- Visit http://www.google.com/+/business/
- Google will prompt you to login to your existing gmail account; if you don’t have one, create one.
- If you DO NOT have an existing Google+ personal page, Google will prompt you to create one (you must do this is order to make a business page). Once complete, go back to above URL in Step 1.
- Choose the appropriate category for your business
5. If you choose a local business, Google will direct you through the appropriate steps to verify your business name and location
6. If you choose COMPANY, select your appropriate business category – choose a name for your business, list your website and continue.
(Google may ask to verify your phone number)
Make sure to upload your company logo/image and keep branding consistent.
Pinterest Setup Instructions:
- Visit http://business.pinterest.com/en
- Click JOIN AS A BUSINESS
- Fill out all of your business information. Be sure and include the ABOUT section that is specific as to what your business does
4. Be sure and add your profile picture (suggested: business logo)
5. Start creating BOARDS that are relevant to your business. See below for examples of Social Ally’s board names
How to create a Pinterest board:
1. Click on CREATE A BOARD
2. Name your board and add in a detailed description of what kind of pins your board will be displaying
Tumblr Setup Instructions:
- Visit https://www.tumblr.com – click SIGN UP in the lower left corner
2. Once you fill out your info, click on CREATE A BLOG in the upper right corner (it will be an arrow drop-down button)
3. Click on CUSTOMIZE (this will allow you to customize the blog template, add business info, etc.)
4. Under EDIT THEME, choose a theme you like. Input your business title, description and avatar. (As you scroll down, you will see options to change text colors, etc. and add additional business info)
LinkedIn Company Page Setup Instructions:
- Visit http://www.linkedin.com/company/add/show
- Add your company name (keep branding consistent)
- Your email must be an email address associated with your business. (ie. firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. Once page is created, make sure to add a description explaining your business, any products you sell, logo, etc.
How to add Facebook Groups:
Remember: join LOTS of Facebook groups that pertain to your business; this is great for promoting and getting the word out!
1. From your Facebook homepage, type your niche business keywords – click SEE MORE RESULTS at the bottom of the searched terms
2. Once you have clicked “SEE MORE RESULTS” click “GROUPS”
3. A list of niche groups will appear – get crazy – join as many as you want, play around with what phrases you are searching!
Remember: you can load them into your Social Ally Dashboard and update to them all at once and schedule them out!
How to add LinkedIn Groups:
1. From your LinkedIn home page, click the drop down menu and select GROUPS
2. JOIN, JOIN, JOIN!!! Join as many as your niche groups as possible!
Written by: Natalie Speers
Be Social – Follow Social Ally!
Ally (Al-ly) Verb: to unite, relate or connect in a personal relationship
Gain an ALLY! Grow your social media presence with our management dashboard specifically designed for businesses! Request a complimentary demo at email@example.com